Monday, August 10, 2009

Magic Hours, Migrant labor

A week in, and still unemployed but hopeful.
Since MB and I looked at and agreed upon apartments (read: not actual lease-signage, but looking at places together) this weekend, I can throw myself into Job Season, full force.
I submitted a number of resumes and cover letters last week. Vigilantly checking my inbox for replies seems to be keeping that lucky e-mail away, so in the meantime I'm focusing on looking at more and more job listings.

Craigslist, mediabistro, a few staffing sites couldn't hurt and Time-Warner all offer postings.

Today's plans include more of the same: scouring listings and polishing cover letters. I'll post something selling my services in dog-walking, which, before you misunderstand and flip out, is not the ideal zenith of my career. I like walking dogs, I do it well, and I can make good money as I look for something more substantial, shall we say. Ditto retail clerking. But if there's one gem of savage wisdom we can take from John Smith, "He who works not, eats not." The gold ain't gonna show up on my stoop.

The apartment we found is super cute, super cheap and super safe. MB and I spoke with a girl living upstairs and she was looking to stay. Regardless, I'm already familiar with the neighborhood, since it's where I've always (98% of the time) stayed on trips to Manhattan/King's County.
The landlord has dropped the rent (well within a budget) and is currently renovating, so our wood floors will be shiny and finished, our gas will be coming through new pipes, and out walls will have a fresh coat of paint. There's lots of windows, it's not very wide but it's long, not quite railroad style. Laundry and Groceries across the street, extremely close to the subway. We filled out an application so hopefully it shall be ours.

3 comments:

  1. Cool. Are you really going to have a stoop? That's so Cosby Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cousin Brian- the one we want is a 2nd floor walk-up, but we will be right above a pizzaria, so the sitcom possibilities are many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flow of how your week in feels. Is this Brooklyn? Near Manhattan Bridge? You will surely find work with how you are moving one foot in front of the other. Feeling your energy my dear and love it. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete